Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Band of Gypsies 2!


Well, it's time. Debuting a new piece tonight. This was a MAJOR challenge and pushed me as an artist in the best of ways. I've never choreographed a piece for dancers with a cast this size before (7!). I've never collaborated with a composer and worked with original music before. I've never had to deal with the logistics of scheduling and getting space for a dance of this size. And the counting and rhythms of this number...well, when I post it eventually you'll understand.

Thanks to Katrina Phillip for spearheading this showcase. Thanks to AJ Hughes, Adam Lendermon, Stanley Martin, Alfie Parker Jr., Zachary Denison, Jose Luaces, and Mark Donaldson for giving me their time, bodies, and sweat. Thanks to Kevin Boursiquot for allowing me to create with his intricate and evocative music. We've worked together, created something beautiful, and tonight we release it into the world. I'm so proud of the product and can't wait to share it!

Band of Gypsies 2
Manhattan Movement Arts Center
May 4
7:30

No comments:

Post a Comment