Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Choreographer's Canvas 2011

Debuting ANOTHER piece. I gotta say, I feel like I'm really starting to get some nice momentum. This showcase features 15 great choreographers and it's new and different to consider them my 'co-creators' instead of 'people I want to hire me.' Rebecca Thomas, a choreographer I just danced for with R.Evolution Latina, is also presenting. In the space of a month I went from performing FOR her to presenting a piece ALONGSIDE OF her. That's kind of a cool transition!

I'm really excited about the number I'm presenting for a number of reasons. It will be the LONGEST number I've choreographed so far. It has the most complex story of anything I've worked on. There's some really fun costuming moments. Very athletic. Very intense. Strong acting intentions and character. It's a story/theme that I think is worth exploring. I think it's pushing boundaries and will get a reaction. And I feel that there are really well-defined choreographic moments and a structure to the number. After working on something abstract, it's nice to return to clarity. I'll try to get footage, but it might be a bit tricky with this one. Hope to have video up...eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment