Saturday, April 23, 2011

Band of Gypsies 2 class combo-Bei Mir Bist du Schon

As part of the fundraising drive to make the second BAND OF GYPSIES choreo-showcase happen, some of the presenting choreographers volunteered to teach a 'pay what you can' class. I saved the date, publicized the class, worked up a fantastic combo...and got screwed by auditions. It as one of those rare busy days where great calls happen in the morning and afternoon so the men and women trade off. Everyone was auditioning and no one came to play. But I shall persevere! I gave myself a warmup and then put myself on tape with a brand-spanking-new combo! And edited it. And put it online. And got some amazing response. People who asked if they could dance for me. People who reposted it to their facebook feeds. I released it into the world and it opened a few doors. So while the class was a 'teaching' fail, it was definitely a choreographic success!

Additionally, in looking back at it, I can see definite growth as both a performer and a choreographer. I am a stronger dancer that I was a year ago and I think a more interesting/refined choreographer. It's absolutely a process and I'm grateful for the journey and for the little milestones that show there is progress in the right direction! Enjoy the vid.

No comments:

Post a Comment