Monday, April 4, 2011

Picking up steam

So I haven't posted in a bit, and mainly that's a result of laziness on my part. But in the midst of that laziness is a professional whirlwind of opportunity and fun upcoming projects. It finally feels like I'm starting to hit my stride as a performer/choreographer and I'm loving how those two worlds intersect and feed off each other. A few developments...

I danced in the R.Evolucion Latina Choreographer's Festival. Performed in 5 numbers from some amazing up and coming choreographers and got to check out the layout and tech capacity of Manhattan Movement Arts Center. A good thing to because...

I've been accepted into two choreography showcases for May. I will be debuting new pieces for both the Band of Gypsies 2 showcase (where I've been paired with a composer to create an original number based on original music) and The Choreographer's Canvas. Yay for forced getting into the studio and rounding up dancers and making some fantastic art!

I was also asked to assist on Broadway Bares 21. Had some pre-pro meetings already and this year's show is going to be especially beautiful. I'm really looking forward to getting down and dirty on this project.

In a HUGE choreographic leap, I took the first steps in developing my own work. I had inspiration for a show strike me and after mulling it over for a bit, I submitted a proposal to the author of the work I want to base it on. My first time applying for rights. I truly believe in the concept (which is strikingly original) and if I can acquire the right to adapt it from a 'new media' source, it'd be absolutely amazing. Fingers crossed.

Finally, I've been offered the chance to direct/choreograph a summerstock show. No details on this until contracts are signed, but it's crazy exhilarating to be the head honcho on a project. Also terrifying. That show's all on me. But I think I'm taking the plunge. The project is super-cool and I can't wait to talk about it in the near future.

I just wanted to update this blog because it's been a while and there's a lot going on. Refining my class/warmup, acting in theater, shooting short films/webseries. A little editing. Hopefully more fun video to post in the near future. But mainly there's movement on the professional front and it's exciting to report. New art coming your way soon! Can't wait to get in the studio again...

No comments:

Post a Comment