Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The Lady in the Street-Choreographer's Canvas 2011

Official video debut! I LOVED working on this piece. So many artistic challenges. The is the longest number I've choreographed to date. It's the most complex plot I've developed. A number of costuming elements. And we threw this baby on its feet in three rehearsals. Band of Gypsies consumed my calendar and took a priority so I had to focus on developing that piece. When "The Race" premiered, I had one week to get in the studio and make "The Lady in the Street" happen. And I got my people together. And we made it happen. And it was glorious.

I've gotten some great feedback on this piece. I feel like it made an incredibly strong impression in the context of the show and opened some really fantastic doors for me professionally. But more importantly, it feels like a success artistically. This is the kind of work I want to do. Looking at it with some perspective now, there are some tweaks I would make. But the core of the number feels solid and I'm so incredibly proud of the work and of the dancers that brought it to life. So grateful.


No comments:

Post a Comment